Sunday, November 4, 2012

Advent Calendar






I'm sure most of you have heard about an advent calendar. We always had the little cardboard ones with chocolate behind the cut outs. I remember my brother used to sneak ahead and eat all the chocolate then close them back up. lol.



Photo from Stitch Craft Creations





Recently while looking around Pinterest I came across a felt advent calendar. I personally think they're gorgeous and I really want to make one. So after searching around online, I found a few bloggers who made some and got the general idea of how it goes. There's one blog in particular, Homemade by Jill, where she did a sew along and made an advent calendar with her readers. She did this 2 years ago but it started at the beginning of Nov and since it's now the beginning of Nov, i'm going to attempt to do this also! Now i'm going to warn you. I have very beginner sewing skills, and no embroidery knowledge (I think I used to embroider with my grandma when I was little?) but i'm going to try anyways. These are the sort of crafts that you can use every year and get passed down to your kids when they're adults.



So the question is, do you want to do this with me? I will post the link to her weekly challenge every week along with listing what i'm doing, and of course pictures!

So here's week 1!
Here is her assignment for the week:
  • Cut your main backing piece (I am cutting mine to 20x30 inches)
  • Cut your felt pockets and embroider them with numbers 1-24 (my pockets are cut 2 1/2 inches square).  She used a tight chain stitch to embroider her numbers.
  • Sew the pockets to the backing piece (Great pocket tutorial from The Purl Bee)
Good luck! And please post if you're participating and picture if you have any :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!