Friday, February 1, 2013

I did it!

I did it! I crocheted my first baby blanket! I just started crocheting 2-3 weeks ago, and after watching some youtube videos to teach me how, I did it. I started by making a scarf for my son, Gideon. He loves red so when he saw me picking out yarn and I mentioned scarves, he requested one right away. He actually loves it though, and loves to show it off. It did take me a couple tries as my ends weren't even at first, but once I got it, I got it. I think... LOL.




After creating my scarf, I was invited to a surprise baby shower for a friend of mine. My first thought was to make her a baby blanket. I figure it's basically a bunch of scarves put together... Right? Let me tell you, i'm new to crocheting so i'm not that quick. This blanket took me well over 30 hours to complete. I did  half double crochet stitches (I think that's what it's called...) and while I think it's a nice, pretty, small stitch, it took forever! Not sure if i'll do that small of a stitch again on a blanket.

A friend of mine does a lot of wave borders on her blankets so that's what I planned on doing, but after going around the edges first, it scrunched a little and I realized that a ruffle edge would be really pretty. The reason mine scrunched (it wasn't that noticeable, just to me) was trying to do the ends. Figuring out where to put the stitch on the ends when going around, proved slightly difficult for me. I'm sure there's a trick, I just don't know it, so I winged it.

So then I started looking up tutorials for ruffle borders, and while it took me awhile, I finally found one that I liked! I was supposed to do three rows and only ended up with enough time and yarn to do two, but it was still really pretty.

I'm not going to lie and tell you it was perfect. I'm not. But I do think it was pretty darn good. Especially seeing as I just started.

Here's some of the videos I used to teach myself to crochet in the first place.



Thanks to my Facebook fans, I was also recommended  to check out Crochet Geek, All Free Crochet, and Bev's Country Cottage among others. Also, check out Bob Wilson's learn to crochet series:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!